Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


What kinds of programs are available at GLI?

Academic year: certificate (one academic quarter to two years)
Quarterly customized program
Short-term, customized program
Summer ESL Program
Future Global Leaders
Pre-college Programs
Study abroad destination
Sylff Research Abroad

Is GLI a master's program?

GLI is a non-degree program. Fellows receive acertificate of completion for coursework or study at the end of their session. Learn more about degree programs offered at the School.

Am I required to live on campus? Will someone assist me with housing?

During the academic year, UC San Diego campus housing is only available to students enrolled in degree programs. Housing options near campus include renting your own apartment, sharing off-campus housing with students and staying with a host family (homestay). We are happy to provide you with a housing resources list and to answer questions about your stay.


How do I apply to the GLI program?

For the GLI non-degree program, you can download an application here or submit your application online here. GLI has a rolling admissions process, but application materials should be sent at least two months before your intended start date.

How long will it take to process my application?

The staff will contact you within 2 days of receiving your application. It can take up to two months after the receipt of your initial application to process and receive your Form DS-2019/I-20.

May I still enroll if I cannot attend during the exact dates of the official quarter?

If you are a full-time student planning to attend courses on a quarterly basis, you must begin study at GLI on the start date listed on the academic calendar and also complete your program on a quarterly end date.

What are the English test requirements? I have a TOEIC or IELTS, but not a TOEFL score. Will you accept another kind of test?

For the Quarterly Certificate Program, GLI requires a score of 68 on the TOEFL iBT (190 CBT, 520 PBT). Equivalent scores for the Quarterly Certificate Program: TOEIC (620) and IELTS (6.0 band). 

For the Master of Advanced Studies in International Affairs (MAS-IA), please see this link for admission requirement information.

What kind of visa will I be on? If I am already in the U.S. on an F visa, can you accept it?

GLI supports professionals on a J-1 or F-1 student visa. Once you are accepted to the GLI program, you will be given a DS-2019 or I-20 application form. The DS-2019 and I-20 are a certificate of eligibility that you must provide to the U.S. Embassy or consulate when you apply for your J-1 or F-1 visa. The J-1 and F-1 visa allows professionals to bring eligible family members to the U.S. as J-2 or F-2 dependents. Eligible family members are the spouse of the GLI Professional and their unmarried children under the age of 21.

Payments & Cancellations

When is payment due?

The application and DS-2019 processing fees are due at the time you apply to the program. Tuition is due on or before the first day of study.

Are scholarships or is financial aid available?

GLI does not offer financial assistance or scholarships. Most of the candidates are sponsored by their institution or government, an outside scholarship and/or personal funds.

What types of payment are accepted?

We can accept a check, money order, traveler’s checks or bank draft in U.S. dollars, payable to “UC Regents.” If you would like to pay by bank wire, please contact us for bank wire instructions. You will need to pay all bank wire fees.

What is your cancellation policy?

GLI professionals withdrawing during the first 35 calendar days of a quarter will receive a refund of fees according to the UC San Diego Schedule of Refunds. The date of withdrawal used in calculating a refund will be the date on which an official withdrawal notice in the form of a signed letter is submitted to GLI.

What is the cost of the program?

Current tuition and program costs for GLI's quarterly certificate program can be found online. Please contact us to discuss proposals for groups of executives and study abroad opportunities.


What can I expect at the beginning of the quarter?

When you arrive, you will need to come to our offices and check in by attending an orientation session. Orientation takes place the week before or the week of the first day of classes. Please check the academic calendar to see the scheduled orientation date for the start of your program. Additionally, at the beginning of most quarters we will have a reception for all incoming and continuing fellows.

What kinds of classes will I be taking?

As a full-time, enrolled professional, you are required to take at least 12 units each quarter to fulfill your certificate requirements and to maintain your nonimmigrant visa status. GLI professionals choose from the courses offered at the School, which are supplemented with customized GLI English language and content-based courses. At least two courses each quarter must be in a subject other than English for Professionals. If you are interested in part-time study, please contact us.

Do I need to bring a laptop?

It is strongly recommended that all fellows have a personal notebook computer for use during their studies at GLI, with the appropriate security and firewall software installed. Some courses require you to bring a laptop (notebook computer) to school every day the class meets. See the computing services section for the most current recommendations and specifications.