Campus recognizes alumni as leaders and changemakers
Three GPS alumni, David An '07, Elena Foukes Lucas '12 and Tamar Koosed '09, have been selected for UC San Diego's 40 Under 40 award
At UC San Diego’s School of Global Policy and Strategy (GPS), our alumni have already begun to reshape the world as global thought leaders with a passion for problem-solving and designing better solutions for
This year, campus recognizes 40 outstanding alumni, all 40 years and younger, who have brought honor and distinction to the university. The 2018 honorees represent the more than 185,000 alumni at UC San Diego.
“UC San Diego is an extraordinary university built on a foundation of challenging convention, pushing boundaries and expectations, and producing breakthrough work for the greater good,” said Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla. “I’m enormously proud to recognize alumni who embody our spirit of
Read below as we celebrate three of our exemplary alumni.
David An, MPIA '07 - Charismatic | Effective | Humble
As a senior research Fellow at the Global Taiwan Institute, An pioneered the first annual Taiwan interagency political-military visit to the U.S.
During his tenure, An was decorated by Taiwan's defense minister for coordinating U.S. humanitarian assistance after a hurricane and assisting Taiwan in providing relief supplies to Haiti after its earthquake.
Additional awards include a U.S. Fulbright Scholar, U.S. diplomat covering
Tamar Benzaken Koosed, MPIA '09 - Impactful | Resourceful | Dedicated
Founder and president of MANAUS Consulting, a corporate responsibility and international development consulting firm, Koosed has hired nine UC San Diego alumni from GPS.
As co-founder of Save the Syrian Children, a nonprofit created to bring urgently needed medical supplies to areas even large aid organizations have been unable to penetrate, she has helped ship more than $30,000,000 in medical aid.
A recipient of the 2017 Outstanding Alumni award from GPS, she has also been appointed to the World Economic Forum’s Global Shapers Community in Brazil, a network of young leaders.
Elena Foukes Lucas, MPIA '12 - Futuristic | Strategic | Activator
CEO & co-founder of Utility API and Treviso Partners, Lucas is a serial entrepreneur in
Named as a 2017 Grist 50: 50 innovators with forward-thinking solutions to some of humanity's biggest challenges, and a 2016 Forbes 30 Under 30: The brightest young entrepreneurs, innovators and game changers.
The 40 Alumni Under 40 awards will be presented during UC San Diego’s Alumni Weekend, May 31 to June 3 to celebrate with their Triton community. Learn more about 40 Under 40 Awards here.
- Campus recognizes alumni as leaders and changemakers
- Ian Johnson chronicles the rise of religion in China
- Writing the book on China’s economic policy
- Broadening horizons through international experience at BCG
- Office hours: Professor Gordon McCord
- New evening option for working professionals
- China's infrastructure investment as a development strategy
- Rethinking the war on drugs in Mexico
- Creating theoretical frameworks
- Nurturing future leaders at TechPolis
- The future is female
- Jamal Russell Black on Veridian Analytics' entrepreneurial spirit
- Love is in the air
- A day in the life of an MCEPA student
- Health and human capital
- Eduardo Porter finds journalistic inspiration at GPS
- Technology assessment at the nexus of STEM and policy
- IGCC receives coveted UC research grant
- Battery storage at the center of energy policy
- Researching how humans and the environment interact
- Office hours: Professor Ulrike Schaede
- Fighting wildfires with web based imagery
- United we dream
- Our 2017-2018 Boren Fellows
- Applying game theory to study behaviors
- Students craft views on climate change at COP23
- Molding future technical experts
- Why GPS: A niche in life
- The art of entrepreneurship
- Solar energy and pursuing the policy dream
- Social entrepreneur and first time author Ken Davenport ’90 of “The Two Gates”
- Why GPS: Discovering a passion for all things math
- Our 2017-18 Dean’s Fellows
- A Living, Learning Laboratory
- A ‘Prep Program’ for success, before day one
- Office hours: Professor Gordon Hanson
- Adding to a truly interdisciplinary academic environment
- Why GPS: Apply now and figure it out later
- Sponsored Student Spotlight: Noritoshi Kurokawa
- West Coast-Trained for a Washington, D.C. Think Tank
- Linked in Latin America
- Facilitating a ‘family affair’
- Nico Ravanilla retreats to Oxford for research
- 2016 alumni remember their first year in the real world
- Innovation in mobile technology